Wednesday, June 17, 2009

in Limbo


So the last day of school was a pool party J.W. Marriot, and it was actually the first day that I missed the bus (probably had something to do with me leaving my phone in the kitchen and hitting my bed so hard at 3 in the morning after seeing some good friends that I forgot to set the alarm) though it worked out fine because I could take a taxi straight to the hotel. This was on June 4th, and Obama was giving a  landmark-image changing speech that really made me proud to be an American. That night I flew off to JFK and then Detroit. 
In Detroit I was one of the first family members to get there for the reunion we were having for Tean (my Godmother and mom's aunt). Even though she passed away in March in Philadelphia, it was a "funeral" service in June in the Cranbrook church, so that her brother Jock, Gramps did not have to travel too far. It was nice seeing family members that I have never met, and some that I have seen on the lesser side of fingers on my hand, but the best part was seeing my immediate family and the cousins, Geoff and Kristen. 
The day before the funeral, we went to the Detroit Zoo, it was a good reentry back into America. The polar bears were by far the coolest thing to see, but we did a pretty comprehensive tour of the whole zoo. The inordinate amount of pork products and true american consumption of steak began...

Late on Sunday I got back to Rochester, literally sleeping in my own bed, home, for four nights. It was strange with Rudi gone, Tira older, an enormous house that needs filling, but it was good to see Kevin (and jam), Ana, Brooke, Hal and Abby, get in a chess and scrabble game, and work out at the Karate school.

And then just like that the next adventure started. I landed in Boston and was found by my sister downtown.  
This is where she works. 
A dinner at Maurice's (my grand uncle's), and then the fung wa bus over to New York. 
New York will never change, but I felt like the kid in Jungle 2 Jungle "Your city is so big baboon" - on Saturday we hung out with Brads, and then a bunch of us rolled deep to all you can eat/drink sushi 40$ for 2 hours. We spent the next day nursing Sake bomb hang overs in a beer garden where there was a Gymnastics event, and Jeremy and Talia came in from Westchester to meet with Tyler, Mason, Chris, and I. Saw Hangover (funniest movie of the year). Max came back. Went on morning runs with him through New York, then back to boston to meet up with Matt and Jeremy, jammed with Eli and Ben, and here I am. Sitting in my boxers on my sister's couch about to get the ball rolling for the bus to downtown boston, meet for lunch, and then take the evening flight to London and wake up there in the morning. 

No comments: