Thursday, September 11, 2008

More about school

The mornings now start with all of the primary students standing out on the front lawn to a quick message from the supervisor Ms. Inji. I am on the far end because I have the oldest children. Then, we do a warm up to music, which is actually hilarious because none of the older kids do it. It includes jumping up and down and a lot of bouncing stretches to the count of 8. We then salute the flag and sing the national anthem and then head inside for “circle time.” Every class begins with me saying “good morning class,” and the whole class responding “Good morning Mister Christophe.” (Whenever someone has something to say, it is either “Mister, Mister!” or “Mister Christophe!”) Then I will go on to say the morning message which always is an inspiring quote that I write up the night before. Today’s was “a truly happy person is the person who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.” Uncoincidentally, I got a phone call at 6 AM this morning saying that the staff bus that would come to pick me up at the normal time would not be coming, reasons unknown. I rode in with the children’s bus on a different route.

In more ways than I think I can appreciate, working at the summer camp prepared me for working with children at this age. Between knowing when to be more strict with them, to learning patience with them, to being able to gauge attention span and intellect, I find myself very comfortable with these eleven and ten year olds. Much more than I would like though, much of what I do is thought up in the classroom, on the fly, seeing right then and there what will work - and what wont, with a basic structure in mind. Much of this whole teaching business is charting new territories in what I have ever had to do before. Planning lessons is a pain in the ass, but really necessary. I still try to make things fun and structured within the general guide that is provided for me. So far we have just been reading stories, and discussing them, which is easy enough to plan, but I am still at the point where I am planning the class the night before. Slowly, teaching tricks are being added to my arsenal, but it is slow.

As the gym teacher, I decided to take a class to teach them dodgeball. This went over really badly. They all cheated and did not stay in the court. Some of them refused to go to jail. Then when I was looking the other way, one of them threw a ball. No sooner had I turned around but the ball made direct contact to my nose. I tried had to remain under the impression that it was an accident. For the most part though, they enjoy gym, and they enjoy my coaching. And there is always the good challenge of making sure the fat and uncoordinated kids are not all on the same team.



My Classroom. Note the orange octopus with bubbles coming from his mouth. "Mr. Christophe Jospe. Primary Six Blue"

Bulletin Board.


View from the other side.



Literally across the street from the school. Without technology my school would most definitely be in a desert. 



Standing in the same spot, back at the school. 

No comments: